We celebrated the last day of this week’s Young Chefs class with Blond Brownies, Snickerdoodles and Creamy Punch!
I’ve taught 2 sessions of Young Chef classes so far this summer. I hope that all of the children have enjoyed their time learning about good food and the fun of cooking.
Makes 18 small brownies
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips
–Grease a 9 x 9 inch square pan.
1. With a fork, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
2. Melt butter in a large microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute on high or use “butter” button to melt.
3. Mix into the melted butter the brown sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
4. Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture. Mix well.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips and place the batter into the greased pan.
7. Bake in the oven, set at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
8. Take out of oven and let cool for about 15 minutes and cut into 18 pieces.
Makes about 36 cookies
1 cup butter
1 and ½ cup sugar
2 and ¾ cups flour
2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cream the butter in the standing mixer (you can also use a hand mixer).
3. Add the sugar to the butter and cream well.
4. Add the eggs to the butter-sugar mixture in the mixing bowl and mix well.
5. In a separate bowl, mix with a fork the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture carefully and mix until completely combined together. The dough will be dry.
7. Remove the mixer bowl from the stand.
8. Take about one tablespoon of cookie dough and roll it in your hand to form a ball.
9. In a small bowl, mix the 3 Tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together with a spoon.
10. Roll cookie ball in the cinnamon mixture and place on a ungreased cookie sheet.
11. Bake cookies for 8 – 10 minutes.
12. Remove from oven, place cookies on cooling rack.
½ gallon vanilla ice cream
½ gallon rainbow sherbet
1 large can pineapple juice
2 liters lemon-lime carbonated beverage
1. Mash ice cream and sherbet together in a punch bowl.
2. Pour pineapple juice and carbonated beverage over it.
3. Gently stir together and serve.